eco~friendly crafting in the high desert

Friday, August 22, 2008

~*~*Artist Feature*~*~

one of my favorite artists i've found on etsy is arliaflower. she's an amazing artist who has travelled extensively. i've admired her work for some time now and thought i would spread the word. she was kind enough to answer some questions and share some of her photos.



~how long have you been creating things?~
I was always quite creative as a child, making collages out of junk mail and sweet wrappers glued together with toothpaste and creating theatrical looking dresses from my mum's favourite bed linen - which I got smack for when she found bits of it trailing up the stairs to my bedroom. I studied art all through college experimenting with a wide variety of materials and techniques, although at the time my heart was set on fine art.
It wasn't until I finished college that I really started to develop my own skills in both painting and textiles. I hit a financial difficulty in this chapter of my life and quickly realized that painting was not going to make me money quickly, as much as I loved it I had to find something that could support me too. Which is where I began making crochet hats and I have been doing that for almost 4 years.


~from where do you get your inspiration?~
I have a passion for traditional costume, handmade fabrics (batiks, block prints, tie dyes etc) natural fibres and recycling. I Also find travelling very influential in my pieces and like to collect locally made materials in the places that I encounter. I would say that the things that inspire me the most are travel, sound, music, Africa ( in a big way because my father grew up in East Africa ) and father God who gives me creativity and the energy to make with my hands.


(above is a picture of arlia with her bead supplier)
~where have you visited? could tell us about one of your favorite trips?~
I have traveled Uganda, Malawi, Ghana, Egypt, Bahrain and been to a few european countries but I didn't really see a lot there.


So hard to pick a favorite really, as the journey for me is ongoing. The more I travel the more I learn about so many things.



Id say that the Middle East and Africa have played a big part in the way that I create things I love to go to the bead and fabric markets and watch the local men and women do their craft in the street. It always inspires me to do something new when I get home.

Uganda was very important for me on a personal level because I was finding the places where my father grew up and where my grandparents lived. Ghana was where I learned more as an artisan from watching my aunties sewing clothes and watching how the beads and fabric were made.

~any links you'd like to share?~

I recently came across this small family business on etsy that makes block print fabric from scratch in India and make it into gorgeous bed linens and house furnishings. www.saffronmarigold.etsy.com


This lovely lady makes really gorgeous fimo bead and glass bead jewelry with some lovely crochet bits too ( she made me a fantastic top )
www.bunnydesigns.etsy.com

This woman makes gorgeous African inspired wire wrap jewellery, she also has a wedding range that is particularly gorgeous www.zayunubydesign.com




This is another family business that makes recycled sari silk and banana fibre yarn in India. I often use their yarns and they are one of my favorites and add something really special to my work.
www.zaarucrafts.etsy.com




thanks for the great photos and talking with me arlia!! i'm sure your work will inspire others as it does me.
you can check out arlia's shop at www.arliaflower.etsy.com

4 comments:

Hecate RavenMoon said...

Brightest blessings.

Wow, those are some great photos. I especially like the pic of the beads. Really cool.

I saved the link and I will check it out tomorrow when I am not so tired.

Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I can't wait to check out her stuff...the pics of the stuff posted are very unique & cool!

Niki said...

Hello there fello hippie mama! I found you through a special friend who you found on etsy... I instantly felt connected. I am a textile artist, mostly hat, we have heaps in common. Well grateful that I found you and look forward to seeing more of your work.
Have a grateful day sister.
Niki

Scott Bulger Photography said...

Mexico is consistently my favorite place to spend time. The people, the culture, the food, and the weather all combine to create a tremendous living experience.